What is this fee listed on my invoice?
We want to be sure your invoice is easily understood. Below you will find some of the terms on your invoice and their definition.
This is the regular monthly/quarterly/annual payment amount, according to your contract.
One-time Documentation Fee
Marlin does not charge an application fee. We may charge a fee to compensate us for processing the documents and reimburse us for the fees incurred with filing UCC-1 financing statements. When applicable by law, taxes may be applied to this fee.
Interim Rent (Partial Month Payment)
After we confirm that the equipment has been delivered and we’ve received all of the required documents, your equipment supplier is paid. We then set up the contract on our billing system and an invoice is sent to you for the first payment due. This payment covers the following full 30-day period. Included on the first invoice is a charge for interim rent, which covers the period between when we pay your vendor and when the first lease payment is due. When applicable by law, taxes may be applied to this fee.
In most states and some local jurisdictions, we are required to collect sales/use tax on each monthly payment. Since the lease payment was calculated in advance and tax rates can change periodically, this amount is billed separately. In certain states, the full amount of tax is due at the inception of the lease. In these situations, the tax is added to the equipment cost to calculate the monthly payment. When applicable by law, taxes may be applied to late charges, one-time documentation fees, insurance, property tax and interim rent. Other taxes you may be subject to are CA E-Waste, Chicago Use Tax, FL Doc Stamp and TN Single Article. If you believe that you are exempt from sales/use tax, please email an exemption certificate to Customer Care.
Many local jurisdictions assess an annual tax on tangible personal property. The lessor, as owner of the equipment, pays this tax to the appropriate taxing authority. (Our lease rate does not include this tax.) We pass this tax on to you on an annual basis. Again, these taxes change periodically and are not included in the calculation for the base monthly payment. We may bill you our estimate of the taxes and reconcile your account when the actual tax figures are received from the applicable jurisdiction. The billed amount may also include an annual property tax administration fee of up to $25. When applicable by law, taxes may be applied to this fee.
- If the equipment location is in California and you have a $1.00 purchase option lease, your property tax jurisdiction will bill you directly.
- If the equipment is in Tennessee, your property tax jurisdiction will bill you directly.
- If your local property tax jurisdiction in California or Tennessee bills you directly, you will not be billed an estimate from Marlin.
- If the equipment is located in the following states, no property tax will be assessed and you can disregard this notice: Delaware, Iowa, New Jersey, Ohio, Hawaii, Minnesota, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, New Hampshire, North Dakota and South Dakota.
- We ask that if you have other business equipment to report to your local jurisdiction that you please list the Marlin lease information in the “leased from” section of the property tax report. This will help avoid double assessment of property tax.
- If you believe that you are exempt from property tax, please understand that the tax assessment applies to Marlin and your exemption will generally not apply to the property taxes assessed to Marlin.
Review the Property Taxes FAQs in our Help Center for more information.
If we receive your payment after the due date on the invoice, you may be assessed a late charge. The amount is calculated as a percentage of the invoice amount past due, less taxes, or may be a flat charge, depending on the terms of the contract you signed. You will receive a one-time waiver of the first late charge assessed if you call customer service at the number on the reverse side of your invoice and request it.
Returned Check Fee
If your payment is returned from your bank for any reason, we may charge you a fee.